Our roots were laid down in 1949 when the company, then known as Chilanga Cement, was established by the Northern Rhodesian Government and the Colonial Development Corporation, now the Commonwealth Development Corporation (CDC). In 1969 the Chilanga Plant was commissioned and during 1956 and 1957 two more kilns were added. With its continued growth, in 1969 the Ndola Plant kiln was commissioned and in 1974 a second kiln was added.
The Company was privatised in October 1994 under the government privatisation programme aimed at enhancing the efficiency of state-owned companies. The Company was also the first company to be listed on the Lusaka Stock Exchange (LuSE), with CDC as the majority shareholder. Early in 2001 CDC reorganised its cement operations in Southern Africa to form Pan African Cement (PAC), which became the holding company of Chilanga Cement in Zambia, Mbeya Cement in Tanzania and Portland cement in Malawi.
In May 2001 Lafarge acquired PAC from CDC as well as a further 34% of Chilanga Cement through a compulsory offer to minorities. The minority shareholders are well dispersed with over 3,000 shareholders. In 2007 Chilanga Cement changed its name to Lafarge Cement Zambia Plc, thereby fully aligning the Company with the international Lafarge Group aimed building better cities. And in 2015 following the historic global merger, Lafarge Zambia Plc becomes a member of LafargeHolcim Group a global leader in building materials and solutions.
Since then, the Company has continued to grow as the leader in the local construction industry as well as in the region.